Monday 10 June 2013

FMP Week 6

this week of term been mega busy!
i planned my week on my timetable being weary of the time span we have and confident that im going to do this to the best of my ability and that is all i can and will do!

Tuesday
took pics of everything in folder to put on blog realised im doing more work so was pointless, using work from other previous project im linking it in. because i have carried on my symbolism project i asked if i can incorporate some work from then to show development in my work. so i have incorporated some hand of Fatima screen prints, some symbol pieces like the dream catcher, hand, ankh and Buddhist prayer spreader. also some lino prints and my symbolism sketchbook and pathway sketchbook (since it has inspired some of my work and has some experiments i really like in it); and some photos of symbol models  made from various materials and some plaster casts and painted rocks.

the pictures show the work i have incorporated from my symbolism project and from my portfolio, because i felt it was relevant and they are experiments that inspired most of my FMP project. 

sketches of buildings i used to experiment in my sketchbook.

a Buddhist prayer spreader, in my aunts house, it inspired a page in my symbolism sketchbook and a big piece as well as a video and plus it is connected to the oriental zodiac sigh symbols.

i like depicting things that you cant see so when i saw this object and learnt how it is a Buddhist prayer spreader and that Buddhist when praying they spin this object and the prayers written on it are cast out into the world to add to the universal positive energies.
 
the prayer spreader inspired this page in my book and then the page in my book inspired a time lapse video made whilst i created this piece. the video shows my henna as well as my technique with spreading ink and outlining. so it was worth incorporating
The link for my video i created with Cameron (a media buddy) please watch:http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=GxQduxkmwVw

the page in my book inspired this big piece.i wanted to experiment with more colours and it worked really well.
close up!






my art objects
lino and screen prints
symbols book speaks for itself
pathway book is were all the ideas started and i developed my outlining style.
on the first page i had created a blue ink drawing of a necklace but was unimpressed so i painted over it with acrylic paint and this effect was created so i outlines a few parts an the style was created.
this work was the result of the graphics pathway at the beginning of the course, we had to experiment with different ways of  transferring an image. i traced a women's  face from a magazine an then photocopied onto accetate, used image maker and carbon paper and this page was created. this is were i used symbols and tribal facial markings.
this was the fine art pathway, we had to scrape paint onto photographs, i did actually use this technique in my symbolism book, it created interesting shapes to outline.
this was textiles pathway, we used projectors and images on accetate an used pencil and inks to draw the images them i stitched some symbols into wallpaper. i cut the A1 sheet down and inked the page and outlined.
my screen print page, i wanted to stick in my work in an interesting way, i love this page!. it smells good too, because i stuck in incense sticks and dropped some essentials oils on it (the oil dropping was an accident but a happy one nonetheless)
the idea of this page just came to me, i wanted to show how you should never judge a book by its cover. so i used a white paint tube (empty) and made it look as if there is coloured paint coming from it showing there is more to a person. i used different coloured paint and layered them onto one another and outlined.

this ankh was made in Dolphemholme Farm, it is made from rope, masking tape, newspaper and natural resources found on the farm. i made the frame and them tied flowers and foliage onto it. since the ankh is the key of life it was fitting to use nature to make it. i then gave it to the farmers wife after taking pictures of it because it wasn't going to last on the bus journey home.



i took these rocks from the river that ran along side Dolphemholme farm and i painted my symbols into them. i felt the need to put them back into nature and photographed them because that was were i found them. they are in my aunts garden.






this wire ankh was the first thing i made on this course and was made from wire in the 3D pathway workshop.

i made this hand of Fatima from clay, to experiment with 3D, so i made a tile, it was later fired in the kiln.
i felt this work had a significant link with the work i am doing now and it has helped me develop my symbolism interest and helped me understand an use then appropriately. so it is fair to incorporate it into my FMP as it is as much a part of my work as the work im doing now is.

here are some pictures showing the process of some of the works i made:
my screen printing screen, it was beautiful!









the wire ankh was inspired by my necklace i was wearing that day, we were told to find something to make so i used my jewellery.

did some spot welding.









i asked to have things framed, but i was disappointed and was really annoyed i only got 4 frames! i originally only asked for 3 not wanting to be selfish when i actually wanted 8 but realizing other students were getting 8/9 and more i decided to ask if i could also have some more but tutors said no! which was really disappointing and i feel the work i have worked soo hard on is not going to be appreciated and for my exhibit there is only going to be 4 frames. which is not impressive at all and im embarrassed because my friends and family will be expecting more from me. the nature of my final piece suggest there to be more symbol work put up, because of the use of many symbols in my final building. the public who see it are not going to understand, as much as they could, were my inspiration is from and how i developed my ideas and symbols. but i only got one and it was the one i wasn't to fond of, my dreamcatcher piece. so i am really let down an disappointed and i cant wait to leave now an go on to bigger and better things were my work will and should be appreciated and seen! feeling cheated out of a good exhibit i accepted the prospects of my work and realised i should be grateful for even having frames so i bit my tongue agreed with the tutors and just handed my work in and continued to work hard accepting the issue.

this is the work i had sent off to be framed:


two square pieces i did as an experiment and they turned out better than expected.
my dream catcher piece.
my final piece! this is a photo of it still wet so the colours look dark. i didn't get a chance to photograph it after it was outlined.
since it was the last week to actually do work in the classrooms that will soon be transformed into an exhibit, i decided to create some lino prints.so i projected symbols on to a square of lino and i drew a design worked really well and saved time.i then had an old painting on an old canvas which i wasn't too fond of so i decided to paint the canvas white ready to draw on and re use. after realizing the potential the canvas could have i decided to ask bill to make me some canvas frames so i can stretch canvas fabric on it and draw buildings and experiment with shape colour and paint. the measurements i gave were : 30x30 40x40 60x60 got those at the end of the day, which was brilliant, knowing how busy bill was.




Wednesday
i spent all morning cutting my lino tile was really impressed with my design thought it would work really well as a print because of its simple shape and good use of lines and dark and light shades. after i finished my tile i decided to print with it; it worked really well. even tho i didn't get no help in using the press and was left to my own devices in sorting the pressure, i had no idea what i was doing so i just tightened a few things an winged it and luckily it worked, (clever me).






whilst i was creating my lino prints i thought it would be a good use of resources if i created some mono prints so i used the meta i spread ink on to do some mono prints of symbols and buildings. it didn't work as well as i hoped  because the ink keep drying or was too thick and the pressure i was applying was either to much or to less which was frustrating but despite the annoyance i still licked the crude effect it gave to my work and the colours i used worked really well.




i then stretched canvas fabric on my frames, something i had never done before and i was just expected to do so, so i asked my fellow student, Toby to help me in using a staple gun. he was brilliant and i something new which is always appreciated. i then painted my canvases white so they would be prepped ready to draw and paint on when i take them home.




i asked for my final piece to be copied professionally some how so i would have the original as a drawing and i could ink the copy and if it gets ruined i still have the original but the tutors couldn't sort anything (which was upsetting) and if i did manage to get it done i would have to pay and i don't have no money, (im a student for god sake!). so after being let down again! i decided to just get it photocopied in sections on a photo copier because it was soo big (A1) it had to be in sections. which was a disappointment because it didn't come out as i want it obviously but at least i had something to experiment on and it was free. (#always look on the bright side of life param param padam padam padam*)


at home i was a busy bee!
i experimented with colours on my canvas and in my sketchbook  making sure i wouldn't destroy my final piece after working so hard on it. i tried using paint on my canvases and outlining bits and adding inks to others but realised i should only use one type of colour. either inks or paints and i went with inks, despite them being a bit unpredictable but they gave the best intensity of colour. i inked the pieces i got copied and deciding on which colours i liked and which colours matched with the other 3 pieces that are being framed then i inked my final piece, and it actually went well.







experimented with colours and contrasts.




i then stayed up all night waiting for it to dry and then i had to outline my A1 (emphasis on A1, the biggest piece i have outlined ... ever!) final piece so it was ready for Thursday because the framer was going to be coming in to collect the work to start framing. so it had to be finished! (shock horror) so a sleepless night was a small sacrifice in the hope my work will be framed on time. and it was totally worth it because i finished at 6 am ans managed to get 1 hour sleep which was a much deserved power nap. hard work and sleepless nights now worth having my work in and done and after the exhibit i can sleep and go out as much as i want but for now i shall continue being a hermit.
Thursday
i handed in my work to be framed still disappointed i couldn't get other work framed but the budget was stretched with all the work being framed, so it couldn't be compromised for some reason. we were told not to question it because we are lucky to even have frames so im happy with what i got but i know my exhibit would have looked better if more work was framed than 2 small square pieces an A3 and an A1 piece. life goes on and my work looks good together because the colours work, so it will be looking amazing non the less. less is more i suppose? after that stress was sorted i could continue with my blog and my sketchbook and experiments which was a good feeling because my final piece was done and over with. i have a sense of accomplishment and i feel good im glad i worked as hard as i did.

i just need to do a shout out to projectors!
the projector has been my savior during this project because its helped me save time on the fiddly bits. i know full well im capable of drawing  things from scratch but there is no time and im too much of a perfectionist and i would never have been able to get this work done.

during the end of the day a few people including my self stayed back and Jamie decided he wanted to start planning and making the basic shape of the exhibition. so we started moving tables and cupboards and took the first couple of steps in creating the exhibit space to make it easier on use when we come back in half term and start building and painting.

over the weekend i inked and painted all of my work from my sketchbook to my canvas were finished and contemplated because im not to keen on them but they are experiments and they don't always go right., i wanted to get all the messy stuff out of the way and then i can outline and organize my work and then focus on my blog and state my inspirations, artists etc.

one thing about art i can say is it cant just be done. i mean you cant always be in the mood and inspiration doesn't always be there and when you are forced to work it doesn't feel as  natural. art is about picking up a pencil and brush when you get a calling or a idea you must bring to life; so i feel i would have more work to hand in if i wasn't so rushed with the time limits and  lack of inspiration.
but one thing this course helped me realize is that in real life when you have a job and have deadlines is that it sadly doesn't matter if your not inspired or have a an idea you feel to great about you have to get it done no matter what. iv managed to train myself in thinking like that to set me up for university and my career in architecture.

when your under pressure you realize how well you can cope and at first i freaked out because art has always been relaxing and fun for me but when your pushed and made to work you lose that love but you need to just go with the flow and find your feet sort your head and get on with it, no complaining!

the show must go on!

No comments:

Post a Comment