Saturday 6 April 2013

Proposal 2

i presented my proposal  idea on Tuesday 26th March and to be honest it didn't go as well as id hoped.
i qued for what felt like hours in the corridor with my high hopes and butterfly's in my stomach. my ideas were not appreciated and i was told i could do better. which was mean and constructive, i asked for them to be brutal and they didn't hold back which was good of them.

i love! the tutors passion and how they want you to do well and they know what works and what doesn't, they are professionals they know what they are talking about. they mentioned how the examiner isn't to fond of the fantasy world i live in so i have to adapt my idea.

they said i could get a distinction i just have to listen and i just need to focus my random idea. if i studies tarot cards id apparently fail so that was a no no. i was asked what i what skill i want to focus on and its drawing because the whole first year of my degree is technical drawing. then i was was asked why i wanted to be an architect and i explained how i love history (history nerd) and hope to preserve/conserve/renovate old buildings instead of leaving them to crumble. so Jamie said why don't i do that! why don't i renovate an old building in Blackburn.

firstly i don't how to that's why im going university to study this and secondly i don't know how to so this is so this going to be fun and a massive learning curve so lets do it! i can still use alchemy as an influence and i need to try and incorporate architecture and alchemy and i can also bring in some of my symbology from the previous project.

so i have a whole knew concept still using the inspiration from the fob watch and alchemy but this time going down the architectural root and focusing on buildings. everyone agree i could get a distinction because my blog is good and i do practical work. however Kim said at the end i don't do any practical work, which hurt (rude!) so i took in my portfolio and explained how i dont do any practical work!

Kim explained how she wanted to push me so she annoyed me with the horrible comment, i am upset i cant do ma fantasy stuff. because im going to be drawing buildings and design probably for the rest of my career life and now was the time i could draw fairies. but hey i can always do it  as a hobby and in my free time so its not that bad. im going to try and enjoy FMP as much as possible but its going to be hard, but a bit of suffering will get me a distinction and into uni so its worth it.

so with my new concept im going to pitch again after doing loads of research in Easter and writing my proposal draft and final proposal so there is lots of work to be doing. so i decided to brainstorm ideas.

i was told to go out and find old buildings im interesting in Blackburn because it has more history than you expect.
im liking the idea of using an old derelict cinema in town center that's been there forever and its a shame its unused, (i actually went to watch harry potter in there). but i want to focus on castles since i cant to fantasy lets find a real castle! there's one in Clitheroe and Skipton castle is beautiful so i shall be making my way there to take photographs.

there has a been a interior design tutor coming in and spending time with us shes called Patricia and shes amazing! she studied an interior design and architectural degree at university and was soo interesting we would discus esoteric aspects of life and alchemy and she gave me some names to study and research and she helped me just plan my ideas and sort my head out.

i have so many ideas and just find it hard to organize them in my head so i have to write them down and speak to some one to make sense of them sometimes (slightly ADD sometimes) and Patricia was the best person to speak too she was soo helpful and and understanding and she didn't judge which was a bonus.she helped with an idea to create parts of buildings with symbols and we spoke about dome buildings and circular buildings because of my influence of alchemist wheels/circles.
this is what she drew in my book! its quite spooky.
so im going to use my symbols to create aspects/parts of buildings and help rebuild it in a design aspect; not in a practical sense more of a design perspective. and the alchemist wheel can be interpreted as many parts of a building so its going to be interesting using it and experimenting. because that is what art is, there is nothing to lose just go for it!
just some alchemist wheels i printed and a dry point plate in going to print of one of the inspirational fob watches.

 finally wrote my proposal!
This course has taught me multiple aspects of printing, creating images and art objects. The first month of this course taught me how to spot welled, paint with new techniques, create scratch films, draw with light, print, stitch and transfer images. I have gained new found confidence in experimenting with different media; exploring different techniques as well as stepping out of my comfort zone.  I will take these skills and use them positively to create a distinction worthy FMP. I have realised I find it hard to concentrate my ideas and thought processes and I will work on this to improve my work.
My main idea is to restore an old building preferably the old town cinema or a castle (Clithero/Skipton). I will use the old architecture as foundations to build upon, using symbols to create aspects of the building. I want to develop my drawing and sketching skills so I shall practice my technical drawings and maybe some scale model sculpting. My project has many interesting prospects.  Researching and visiting old buildings, finding and interpreting symbols and studying history will take time and hard work. Therefore my idea creates a big work load, a great amount of inspiration and a sustainable concept. 
I will use alchemy, symbolism, esoteric concepts, architects and artists as inspiration and influences for my FMP. I am interested in alchemist circles, North African symbols, Antonio Gaudi and Charles Rennie Mackintosh.  My contextual research is studying my symbols and the history of alchemy as well as the works of my favorite Architects and artists. I will be taking photographs of the buildings I want to develop into sketches/models and a final building design. This will be inspired by my research of symbolism and alchemy an incorporating them into architectural features.
I will be using all the skills I have learnt throughout the course; I want to use print making, spot welding, sculpting and explore drawing and maybe painting. I like to use projectors to enlarge and upscale my sketchbook experiments, (bigger is always better!) My final piece shall be the peak of my hard work and buildup. It will hopefully in itself explain what my project based on. I am not certain how big or small it will be but it will be thee final piece! The materials I need are readily available as well as the techniques needed to use them, it is a case of experimenting.
Whilst creating my project and working to make it amazing I will obviously be experimenting with different ideas, concepts and techniques. There will be ups and downs and things will go wrong and some right but they are all learning curves. I will develop FMP blog alongside my practical work. Continually logging down my actions and describing weather they were positive or negative. This will help me with deciding on what processes to avoid and what to take forward and develop in depth.

No comments:

Post a Comment